Don’t think that air conditioning was a fun topic? Though it may not seem like a great discussion topic, there are some really cool facts that can give you a greater appreciation for your heating and cooling system!
- You can thank air conditioning (or the lack there of) for summer blockbusters. Before most every household had AC, especially during the Great Depression, the movie theaters were the coolest place to go. People would go to the movies to get out of the heat and, as a result, studios started releasing their biggest films during the summer.
- The very first president to acquire cooling in the Oval Office was Herbert Hoover. This came during the reconstruction of the West Wing in 1930, after extensive damage done by a Christmas Eve fire in 1929. Central air conditioning system was installed by the Carrier Engineering Company during this renovation. However, it wasn’t until Franklin Roosevelt that air conditioning was added to the White House’s private quarters (bedrooms) in 1933.
- One of the very first buildings to install an air conditioning system was the New York Stock Exchange in 1903.
- The founder of the Heating and Cooling Brand Carrier® was Willis Carrier. He was the person who invented the first modern AC Unit. He created the air conditioning that we know and love today in the year 1902. However, air conditioner sales did not really explode until the 1950’s and by 1953 more than one million air conditioner units had been sold.
- Air conditioning has helped to change our housing architecture. House builds shifted due to this invention, and with the new and widespread use of air conditioning many features that buildings used to have (high ceilings, brick structures, breezeways, sleeping porches, etc.) are now being replaced for less pricey solutions. Current structures are built to use air conditioning efficiently, and older structures would be unbearable in the summer without these artificial cooling features.
Air conditioning is a modern luxury that most of us take for granted. Looking back at the time before our AC units cooled us down on hot summer days, puts into perspective just how great of a comfort we get from this invention. If your AC unit is not working to its full potential, don’t forget to call ASAP Heating and Cooling and let one of our professional technicians assure that you are as comfortable as you can be.